Planning on wearing hot pink hot pants on your backpacking trip to Australia? Think again. Take note of these 19 weird Australian laws that still exist today in some states – although the likelihood of you being arrested for breaking any of them is very unlikely!
1. It is illegal to wear hot pink pants after midday on a Sunday
2. It is illegal to walk on the right hand side of a footpath
3. Taxi cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the trunk
4. Bars are required to stable, water and feed the horses of their patrons
5. You must have a neck to knee swimsuit in order to swim at Brighton Beach (Melbourne)
6. The Summary Offences Act of 1966 deems it illegal to be heard by someone singing an obscene song. Does that include Taylor Swift? Oops…
7. It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burglar
8. Only licensed electricians may change a light bulb
9. It is illegal to be drunk in a pub
10. It is illegal to read someone’s tarot or give them a psychic reading as these are forms of witchcraft
11. Having an article of disguise without a lawful excuse is illegal
12. In the Gold Coast, it is illegal for women to wear a bikini whose material exceeds six square inches. Good bye brazilian bikini bottoms!
13. It is illegal to leave your car keys inside an unattended vehicle
14. If advertising a lost or stolen item, you must include the caption “no questions will be asked.” So does that mean that theives can get away with stolen goods?
15. Life sentences cannot exceed 25 years. Are we really that laid back?
16. If a urinal is not readily available, it is legal to urinate on the rear left tyre of your vehicle
17. It is illegal to dress up as Robin and Batman
18. In Melbourne, it is against the law to vacuum between 10pm and 7am during weekdays, and 10pm and 9am during weekends. Yep. We like our sleep.
19. Children are allowed to purchase cigarettes, but there is no stating that they cannot smoke them.
Written by Katie Tobias @xbase
Sydney Criminal Defence Lawyers
We have experts in all areas of the Criminal Law, ensuring that each of our clients receives the most comprehensive legal advice.
Our Criminal Defense Lawyers will carefully consider your case, advise you on all your legal options and recommend the best way forward.
Our Expert Traffic Lawyers help our clients win their traffic matters in Courts throughout Sydney, every day of the week!